SERVICE FOR MY WIFE
Today is
the day that we honor my wife at a service at our church along with a very
small service at the place where she will be laid to rest. The service last evening went well as many
had the time to talk about the things that they remembered about my wife which
was meaningful to all who were there.
I realize
that me speaking in front of a crowd is something that I am not use to, but I
have to give tribute to my wife of 53 years, a wife that was one that knew the
Lord and also served Him in wonderful ways.
I will now quote from how I will give tribute to her.
MY
TRIBUTE TO MY WIFE SANDY
I want to
talk about some of the things that Sandy really excelled in and there were many
things. I have always said that Sandy is
the smartest person that I have ever known.
Let me begin by saying that the greatest thing that happened to Sandy
was becoming a born-again believer sometime in April of 1974, and that met that
we were both born-again believers in Jesus Christ that really caused are
marriage to go in the right direction.
She was very serious about her faith as can be seen by the journals that
she wrote in. (Picture) Sandy loved her family very much and was a
devoted mom in raising our children. (Picture)
She loved horseback riding which we did on different occasions whenever
we were on vacations. (Picture) Another
thing that she really liked to do when she got the chance was to snorkel and
she snorkeled in some pretty wonderful places, like Aruba, the Bahamas, Mexico,
and Hawaii. (Picture). She even took one lesson in Florida to scuba
dive, but because of a problem with her ears that did not work out. Sandy and I lived in Aruba for about nine
months, and we had an apartment that was right on the beach. I would get up in the morning to go to work
and a little while later she would get up and head out into the Caribbean. If she did not go there, she would go and
take pictures of the wildlife. It took
her a while to get enough courage for her to drive in Aruba as driving down
there was a new way of driving.
Let me now
talk about how Sandy would wash her clothes, and the reason I mention this is
because she had clothes that were 20 years old and they looked almost the same
as when she bought them. I spoke about
her taking pictures and that was another thing she did very well especially
while she snorkeled as her photo albums were full of underwater pictures. When Sandy’s parents were older, she would
always take care of them in ways like celebrating their birthdays.
(Picture)
I now want
to touch on her ability to take pain. In
our closet at home are many high potent pain pills that she got after her
surgeries and not one pill has been taken by her. Both of our children were born naturally
without any pain medicine given to her, and that to me is amazing.
I could go
on and on about the things that Sandy could do well, things that as I look back
warm my heart with these great memories, things like reading Christian stories
by different authors she liked as she went to the Library and get these books
and always had one for her to read. I
can hear her now when we were in the car to make sure we stop at the library to
drop off one of her books.
I am
thankful most for the plan that God had for our family, how he led us and cared
for us, for we certainly were heading in the wrong direction after we first got
married, and then the Lord changed the direction of our lives completely
around, something that we really did not ask for, but something God had planned
before this old world was even created.
This gives our family the great assurance that Sandy is in heaven with
our Lord Jesus Christ and getting to know again those believers who passed on
before her. My hope and my prayers are
for those who have not come to a saving knowledge in Jesus Christ is that the
Holy Spirit will touch your heart so that you too can understand what it means
to be a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, so you too can have that hope that
Sandy had and not fear death but look forward to being in heaven someday.
Now before
I finish this little tribute to my wife, I want to share something that showed
her selflessness. While we were living in Aruba the people we were renting from
would send a cleaning lady to clean our apartment. Well if you knew my wife you would know that
she certainly did not need a cleaning lady.
This gave her the opportunity to talk to this lady. She became well accounted with her and I know
that this blessed both of their hearts.
In
conclusion I have to say that I will miss my wife very much, but I know that
she would not come back to this sin-cursed world even given the chance. I know from the promise of Scripture that I
will see her again when the Lord comes at the rapture or when He takes me home.
I have
asked Becky Gravely to sing a song that the Lord has used to keep our family
together through this very difficult time that we are going through. “He Giveth More Grace.”
Allow me
to read 2 Corinthians 12:9 “9 And He has said to
me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in
weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my
weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.”
No comments:
Post a Comment